On Sunday evening, we hosted our first bat walk at Castlebank Park. Many thanks to everyone who joined us in the park, and for the fantastic Clyde Bat Group volunteers for running the walk for us. We had the perfect weather and saw two different types of bats in the park, Common and Soprano pipistrelle. Funds were also raised for Hessilhead Wildlife Rescue.
On Monday, I attended a interesting day in Glasgow at The National Lottery Community Fund Scotland Grantholder Media Training Day. Last year, we were delighted to receive funding from the lottery to employ our Educational Gardener at Castlebank Horticultural Centre. You can read all about the new educational activities, events and volunteering opportunities on this page.
On Wednesday, Lanark High Street was judged as part of the The GB High St Awards. We are one of only seven Scottish towns shortlisted in the ‘Rising Star’ category, which aims to celebrate up and coming local communities who are on their way to transforming for the future. We spent two hours with the judges visiting retailers, meeting community groups improving the high street and hearing about traditions and events which fill the High Street every year. The judges’ score makes up 80% of our final score, and the remaining 20% is from public votes. You can vote EVERY DAY until 7th October for Lanark at this website.
On Friday, we hosted the last session of our 6-week ‘Introduction to Gardening’ course for the Lanarkshire Carers Centre. We’ve really enjoyed delivering this course, teaching the participants about all of the basics of gardening and enjoying practical sessions in Castlebank Park. We would be happy to discuss delivering a training course or workshop for your group or organisation on a variety of horticultural and environmental topics, such as: Food growing, Biodiveristy, Plant Identification, Organic gardening, Insect Identification, Composting, Managing the environment for wildlife, Wildflowers, Native tree identification and reducing our impact on the environment. Please get in touch! email@example.com or call 01555 728 329.
Friday also marks ‘one week to go’ until the first of our Autumn Family Gardening Club sessions at Castlebank Horticultural Centre on 27th September. We’ll be enjoying lots of fun autumn activities in the garden like making seed bombs, pond dipping, planting spring bulbs and collecting seeds. The cost is £3 per child (Adults and babies under 1 free). To book, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01555 728 329.
You can view more local events and advertise yours free of charge at www.lanark.co.uk/whats-on
Do you have any ideas to improve the town or projects you would like the Development Trust to consider? Please feel free to email us with your ideas or suggestions on email@example.com