Posted Friday September 06, 2019 by Melissa Reilly



Last weekend, representatives from Lanark Community Development Trust attended the annual DTAS (Development Trusts Association Scotland) Conference which was being held in Cumbernauld this year. It was a very interesting weekend, packed with informative speakers and chances to network with different Development Trust organisations from across the country. Below we are pictured on a learning visit with Alva Development Trust to Cochrane Hall, a facility they have recently taken over the management of.

We received excellent news at the start of this week. Lanark is to benefit from a share of a £2.5million fund, aimed at revitalising town centres across South Lanarkshire. Lanark will host two projects, with the Royal Oak being demolished and rebuilt for commercial and social rented housing use, and the demolition of a building at Hunters Close to improve space for parking and enhance the ability to hold events through improved access. The projects were submitted by Lanark Community Development Trust with support from Discover Lanark. Click here to read more. 

 

At Castlebank Horticultural Centre we’ve had another busy couple of weeks. We finished our sessions with The Haven creating our new alpine garden at the centre. We’ve also been continuing our weekly course with the Lanarkshire Carers Centre, and welcomed a group of almost 40 Lanark Cub Scouts who are working on their Gardeners Activity Badge. We’re looking for more volunteers to join in with our Tuesday / Thursday sessions keeping the park maintained. Please get in touch if you’re interested! info@lanarktrust.co.uk 

 

This week we also unveiled a “blooming beautiful” before and after! Thanks to a ‘Greening Grey Britain’ grant from the RHS – Royal Horticultural Society, we have worked in partnership with Lanark in Bloom to transform this vacant area of the ‘Wallace Close’. The Community Payback Team helped clearing the ground and laying bark – and Dan the graffiti artist created this beautiful mural today. A much brighter entrance to the High Street!

 

Discover Lanark have also been busy improving the rest of the closes off the High Street by painting them white – amazing the difference a lick of paint makes! They are also working on replacing the close lighting with LED lights which will be brighter and more energy efficient. You can find out more about Discover Lanark at www.discoverlanark.co.uk

Speaking of the High Street, Lanark has been shortlisted a finalist in the “Rising Star” category of the Great British High Street Awards. We are expecting a judges visit later in September which will count for 80% of our score, with the remaining 20% coming from public votes. You can support the town by voting online until 7th October. (you can vote every day if you like!)

This weekend you can explore historic buildings in Lanark with Doors Open DaysNew Lanark World Heritage SiteTolbooth Lanark and the Horticultural Centre at Castlebank Park, Lanark will all be open. Read more: http://bit.ly/2lFKQ7t

Here’s what we’ve got on at Castlebank Horticultural Centre both days:

You can view more local events and advertise yours free of charge at www.lanark.co.uk/whats-on

Do you have any ideas to improve the town or projects you would like the Development Trust to consider? Please feel free to email us with your ideas or suggestions on info@lanarktrust.co.uk

We rely on your support and donations to be able to continue delivering community projects here in Lanark. You can click the ‘Donate’ button below to send a donation via PayPal or why not think about becoming a member of the Development Trust to support more regularly? We are a charitable, non-profit body which carries out projects for the common good. Our aspiration is to develop and deliver priority community projects which have a social, environmental and economic impact. Any support would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Melissa
Development Manager
Lanark Community Development Trust

Melissa@lanark.co.uk

01555 728 329

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *