Posted Friday August 16, 2019 by Melissa Reilly



Hi everyone,

The good news at the start of the week was that Lanark has been shortlisted as a finalist in the ‘Rising Star’ category of the The GB High St Awards 2019!

The Rising Star High Street award celebrates up and coming local communities who are on their way to transforming for the future. Judges will be visiting the High Street at some point over the next couple of weeks, and their marks make up 80% of our final score. The remaining 20% comes from public votes, so we need your support! Click here to vote online for Lanark: http://bit.ly/2YETg1P or click here to read more: http://bit.ly/2Z0WkQW

During the week I attended a Discover Lanark meeting. On The Lanark Website we are working with Discover Lanark to showcase local businesses on the website, Facebook page and local touchscreens. If you would like to promote your business, free of charge, please email contact@discoverlanark.co.uk 

Speaking of the High Street, scarily today is ‘3 months to go’ until the annual Christmas Market!! The market will be included in the Lanark Festivals Winterfest Guide, which contained over 40 festive events last year. To have your festive events included in this year’s guide, please complete this online form by the 1st of September at the latest.

The Royal Burgh of Lanark Community Council’s annual event “The Festive Taste of Lanark”, including Christmas Horse Parade, will be on Saturday 7th December 2019.

A number of business have offered “Tasters” of their fare, and we would like to invite all merchants/eateries of the town to be part of being a “Taster Shop”, or to offer any incentives to promote their business. This event will be included in the Lanark Winter Fest Events guide, with a postal drop to thousands of addresses in the area, and be advertised widely.

Please email RBLCC Secretary at eleanormclean@hotmail.com if you would like to be included in this event of for more information.

It’s been another busy week at Castlebank Horticultural Centre. On Thursday evening we hosted our second “Grow Your Own” workshop of the summer, with 18 attendees learning all about growing your own produce at home and why it’s so beneficial for yourself, and the environment. We might be able to squeeze in one last workshop before the autumn if there is enough demand, if you’d be interested in attending please email info@lanarktrust.co.uk asap!

On Friday, we started our 6 week ‘Introduction to gardening’ course with the Lanarkshire Carers Centre Training Programme. Participants also had a tour of the park, our growing facilities and heard about what they’ll be learning with us on Fridays over the next 6 weeks. We can create tailored courses or workshops for your group or organisation, get in touch at info@lanarktrust.co.uk to discuss.

The deadline is fast approaching for applications for our RHS Level 2 Principles of Horticulture Course which starts on 9th September.  This qualification is designed for individuals wanting a route to employment in professional horticulture or further development. The theory-based qualification helps learners by assessing their knowledge of the principles which underpin horticultural practices. We are also offering one young person the chance to be awarded a fully funded bursary to complete the course. The application deadline for both is Thursday 22nd August. Please click here for more information and to download the application forms & course handbook with prices/dates. 

What’s on in Lanark this weekend? On Saturday, Lanark Library are running a ‘Now You Don’t’ Guided Walk. You can view more local events and promote your own free of charge on The Lanark Website. Head to www.lanark.co.uk/whats-on

Do you have any ideas to improve the town or projects you would like the Development Trust to consider? Please feel free to email us with your ideas or suggestions on info@lanarktrust.co.uk

We rely on your support and donations to be able to continue delivering community projects here in Lanark. You can click the ‘Donate’ button below to send a donation via PayPal or why not think about becoming a member of the Development Trust to support more regularly? We are a charitable, non-profit body which carries out projects for the common good. Our aspiration is to develop and deliver priority community projects which have a social, environmental and economic impact. Any support would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Melissa

Melissa@lanark.co.uk

07538 387 378 / 01555 728 329

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *